Slogan

ENJOY - EXPLORE - EXPERIENCE

LANGUAGE

  • Español
  • English

ANDEAN BEAR IN MACHU PICCHU

SPECTACLED BEAR

Many times the famous Andean bear has been sighted in the historical sanctuary of Machu Picchu walking calmly around some Inca rooms or walking on the terraces, now we learn about this peculiar visitor.

The andean bear (tremarctos ornatus) is olso known as the spectacled bear, Ukuku or Ukumari.

  • It is the only species of bear present in South America.
  • their coat is generally black and some have brown tones.
  • It has a yellowish spots on the neck, chest and around the eyes, in the form of glasses; for that reason the name.
  • Bear are solitary and only gather in pairs during the breeding season or to feed.
  • When they are mobilized and fed, they disperse the seeds og the fruits, thereby promoting the generation of forests.

HABITAT

It lives in diverse ecosystems of Peru, it is present between 250 and 4750 meters of altitude

FEEDING

90% is herbivorous diest. It feeds on achupallas, bromelias, fruits, roots, barks and leaves. 10% also eat mushrooms, cacti, insects, animals, and carrion.

THREATS

  • Loss of their habitat, due to the urban and agricultural expansion; deforestation and informal mining.
  • In some Places, the Bear is hunted because it feeds on some agricultural crops or eventually livestock.
  • they are hunted because of the false belief that some of theirs parts have magical and aphrodisiac properties.
  • they are illegally captured to be sold as pets ( when they are puppies) or to be used in circuses.

                           
          
                    [social4i size="small" align="align-left"]